Shambala’s ‘Slambala’ is an institution, 15 years in age. A key fixture, our poetry slam has grown year on year and attracts seriously incredible talent.
This year, as one of the biggest slams in Europe, we’ve been granted official status, meaning Slambala is now recognised by the international poetry scene!
This means that both our winner and our runner up will be invited to represent Shambala at the National Slam Final at the Royal Albert Hall, ready to battle it out with slam winners from across the country.
Think you’re ready to throw some rhapsodic right-hooks alongside the big wigs?
We invite prospective poets to send in clips of them slamming for a chance at four fast-tracked, guaranteed spots on the Shambala Slam stage. And then, if crowed champion at Chai Wallahs on Sunday (1:00 – 3:00pm) onwards to the national stage and the big city, baby!
Here’s how it will work:
- All entrants must already have tickets to Shambala 2019.
- To enter, send a clip of yourself performing your original slam poetry creations (video or just audio formats are both fine!) to our resident poet, Dreadlock Alien, at email@example.com with the subject “Slambala”. Deadline for entries will be Sunday 11th August.
- Winners will be chosen by Dreadlock Alien and other top dogs from Phantom Laundry and the Workshop Tent. They’ll pick their favourite four to perform at Shambala’s Slam, who’ll then be in for a chance to get to the Royal Albert Hall.
- We’ll announce our winners on Tuesday 13th August. Remember – you have to already have a Shambala ticket to enter.
- As the winner will be representing Slambala on a national level(!) our expert poetry panel have suggested that it’s a good idea to have a back catalogue of work which will see you through a least three rounds, as you vie for the title.
As usual, you’ll be able to enter on site too, through the open mics held at Phantom Laundry (5pm on Friday and Saturday) but with spaces limited, we’d definitely recommend applying online if you are able, to maximise your chances!
Remember – get those submissions in by August 11th, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘SLAMBALA’
Best of luck! x