Our aim is to be the most ‘net-positive’ gathering we can be, in all the ways we can possibly think of. We actively minimise the festival’s negative environmental impacts, and maximise the positive.
We keep ourselves up-to-date with knowledge and what’s going on in the world – it’s a journey and we are always learning. We collect data of all kinds to enable evidenced-based decision-making, whether it be the exact words we choose in a campaign, or a policy change on waste management.
We’re open-minded and investigate all areas of our influence – social, financial & environmental – to find new ways of inspiring change. Being bold and taking risks is in our nature, along with listening to others and welcoming any challenges – if we get it wrong, we listen, learn and change the way we do things.
We are considered to be a pioneering festival world-wide and are proud to share everything we learn freely in the spirit of Creative Commons. We have:
- Reduced our carbon footprint by over 80%
- Become powered by 100% renewables
- Eliminated disposable plastics
- Recycled 80% of recyclables
- Pioneered recycling deposits and reusable cups
- Gone meat and fish free
- Provided a space for inspiration
- Introduced majority compost loos across site
- Worked with over 20 partners to support world-changing work
- Implemented radical low-carbon travel plans
- our company is more than five times carbon positive through renewable energy investments
- Our amazing audience have collectively funded a forest in Africa, started a charity – Energy Revolution – have supported various campaigns and have generally been amazing people in the world.
- Measured impacts and undergone third party certification every year
- Won stacks of awards!
Working with all of our diverse community, we will keep pushing for better ways of doing things and for a clean, sustainable, diverse, abundant, respectful and happy future for all living things.
- The Innovation Award at the 2018 UK Festival Awards, in recognition of our pioneering sustainability practices.
- Chris Johnson (Co-founder, Operations Director and Sustainability Lead) was awarded the Green Pioneer 2018 award at the P.E.A Awards – the UK’s leading sustainability awards.
- Creative Green 5 Star Rating 2017 & 2018 (the first – and currently only festival – to have ever achieved this! Find out more about that, HERE)
- Creative Green Awards 2017 – Best Festival
- Creative Green Awards 2017 – Outstanding Achievement Award
- European Festival Awards 2016 – Green Operations Award
- We’ve won the International A Greener Festival Award five times to date – also picking up their ‘Inspiration Award’ in 2012.