Our aim is to be the most ‘net-positive’ gathering we can be, in all the ways we can possibly think of. We actively minimise the festival’s negative environmental impacts, and maximise the positive.
We keep ourselves up to date with knowledge and what’s going on in the world – it’s a journey and we are always learning. We collect data of all kinds to enable evidenced-based decision-making, whether it be the exact words we choose in a campaign, or a policy change on waste management.
We’re open-minded and investigate all areas of our influence – social, financial & environmental – to find new ways of inspiring change. Being bold and taking risks is in our nature, along with listening to others and welcoming any challenges – if we get it wrong, we listen, learn and change the way we do things.
So far we have:
- Reduced our carbon footprint by over 90%
- Become powered by 100% renewable energy sources
- Eliminated disposable plastics (apart from cable ties!)
- Pioneered recycling deposit systems
- Transitioned to reusable hot cups across site
- Gone meat and fish free, and on a journey toward 100% plant based
- Introduced majority compost loos across site
- Working with over 20 partners to support life and planet-changing work
- Implemented radical low-carbon travel plans
- We are more than five times carbon positive through renewable energy investments
- We have collectively funded a forest in Africa, started a trailblazing charity ecolibrium, have supported various industry campaigns.
- Measured impacts and undergone third party certification every year
- Won stacks of awards!
Working with all of our diverse community, we will keep pushing for better ways of doing things and for a clean, sustainable, diverse, abundant, respectful and happy future for all living things.
- The Innovation Award at the 2018 UK Festival Awards, in recognition of our pioneering sustainability practices.
- We’ve won the International A Greener Festival Award five times to date – also picking up their ‘Inspiration Award’ in 2012.
- Chris Johnson (Co-founder, Operations Director and Sustainability Lead) was awarded the Green Pioneer 2018 award at the P.E.A Awards – the UK’s leading sustainability awards.
- Creative Green 5 Star Rating 2017, 2018, 2019 (the first – and currently only festival – to have ever achieved this! Find out more about that, HERE)
- Creative Green Awards 2017 – Outstanding Achievement Award
- European Festival Awards 2016 – International Green Operations Award